Maybe mistakenly, I didn’t read any reviews of Kayla Itsines App, Sweat with Kayla until AFTER I had spent £50.99 on a three-month subscription. I had an odd moment of panic after pressing ‘buy’ and thought I should have researched it more. The problem with reading reviews (just like mine, of course) is that it’s just one person’s opinion of something, something that you might end up feeling totally different about. During that small panic I did read a few reviews, all pretty negative which then made my panic worse. Had I just thrown away all that money?
Let’s just discuss the price of Kayla Itsines app for a moment before I get onto the app features. I signed up thinking it was going to be $53.99 Australian dollars as shown on the website, but when I downloaded the app and went to subscribe the price had changed to £50.99 GBP. I decided to go ahead anyway after a quick moan to Rob about the price confusion.
After that panic and moan, I decided to give it a go and I have to say that I don’t think it’s as bad as some are making out. Here’s why…
- As part of the app you’ll get BBG 1, 2 and 3. Great for those who have never used Kayla’s BBG guides before. Possibly frustrating for those who have already bought BBG 1 and 2 (like me!) as you might feel like you’re paying for it again. The app format is much easier than having it printed out though or screen grabs on your phone, so I didn’t mind the repeat guides too much. BBG 3 is nothing new in terms of format, just a couple of extra exercises mixed with the old ones to create a new guide.
- You can view the exercises in either photo or video form, which is a good addition. Sometimes it was hard to tell exactly what the images were showing in BBG 1 and especially 2, so the videos make it much clearer and it’s good to see the correct technique.
- Sweat With Kayla has meal plans available for meat eaters, vegetarians and vegans. This is something I was impressed with. The food plan has a simple layout, with lots of yummy looking recipes. Tomorrow night I’m having veggie enchiladas and I can’t wait!
- The workout layout is so easy and clear to use. The workouts have a timer built in and go through all of the exercises. Gone are the days of workout format confusion. I used to get SO many questions on my blog posts about the format, with people not understanding it. Kayla Itsines app makes it much easier.
- The app also tracks your LISS and HIIT workouts too, putting everything into a diary. You can opt to have the suggested diary layout or to create your own and do the workouts when you can. I opted for the standard one, but then shuffled some bits around to work with my schedule, which was easy to do.
- Keeping track of your progress is simple too. You take your before photo via the app, which then saves with a message above about adding your after photo when you’re done.
- Sadly Kayla isn’t done with taking your money after this. If you want a guide to foam rolling and a separate recipe guide then you have to pay extra, but to be honest I think you can do without those things. Foam rolling tutorials are easy to find on YouTube if you’re stuck and you could always do one of my yoga stretch videos if you fancy that instead. Check out my YouTube for more.
- There is an education section on the app which tells you more about the workouts, the nutrition and lifestyle tips.
In summary, some might think I’m mad for spending £50.99 on the Kayla Itsines app…. I still think I’m a little mad, but I’m going to work through these next 12 weeks and see how I get on. In all honesty I do think that £50.99 is pretty steep for a 3-month app subscription, which is why I’ve cancelled mine and am only doing it until these run out. I fully appreciate all the hard work that has gone into making these guides, but when you add that money onto a gym membership it really starts to add up.
If you do subscribe and then end it, just remember to screen grab a few workouts and recipes, so you’ve got a little bank of them to use if you chose to end your subscription at any time! I won’t tell if you don’t. 😉
Hopefully you found this useful. Let me know if you have any questions about the Kayla Itsines app!
You can read my other posts about Kayla Itsines Bikini Body Guides here.
Love, Cat x